Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BMT/SCT for MDS? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5294)

Bossywife Thu Feb 4, 2016 08:47 PM

BMT/SCT for MDS?

I was wondering if anyone has gone through a BMT or SCT for MDS RAEB-2 (bone marrow failure). Or is it just something considered for when the MDS transforms into AML?

Bossywife Thu Feb 4, 2016 08:51 PM

Basophilia

So many questions, sorry.

My husband's blood showed elevated Basophils this go around. Along with low Platelets (60), WBC (3.8) and Neutro (1.8).

This was the first go around in 4 months with Manual Differential.

I'm reading that this could be a progression of the disease, but not necessarily progressing to AML. Prognosis on elevated Basophils is poorer.

eek.

Neil Cuadra Thu Feb 4, 2016 09:08 PM

Bone marrow transplants and stem cell transplants are definitely treatment choices for many MDS RAEB-2 patients.

Some reasons to consider a transplant:
  1. You have a high-risk MDS subtype.
  2. Transplants can cure MDS.
  3. A twin donor, sibling donor, or exact match unrelated donor is available, which increases your chances of success.
  4. You're young and healthy, which increases your chances of success.
  5. Other treatment choices, e.g., drug treatments, have failed.
  6. If you'll eventually need a transplant, it may be best to have it sooner rather than later, before your health gets worse.
  7. You prefer this treatment choice.
Some reasons to consider avoiding or delaying a transplant:
  1. You have a low-risk MDS subtype.
  2. You want to avoid the high risks that transplants can entail.
  3. No suitable donor can be found.
  4. You're old and in poor health, which decreases your chances of success.
  5. There are are other treatment choices worth trying first, e.g., drug treatments.
  6. You're being treated, e.g., with drugs, to try to improve your health before undertaking a transplant.
  7. You prefer another treatment choice.

rar Thu Feb 4, 2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossywife (Post 40039)
I was wondering if anyone has gone through a BMT or SCT for MDS RAEB-2 (bone marrow failure). Or is it just something considered for when the MDS transforms into AML?

I had a SCT a year and a half ago for high risk MDS RAEB-2. I had a few bumps in the road along the way. I am feeling very good now and I might be cured.

Ray

bailie Thu Feb 4, 2016 09:59 PM

I had RAEB-2 (November 2013). I had a stem cell transplant (August 15, 2014). I would not be alive today if I hadn't had the transplant. It was an easy choice for me. The strange thing was I felt good right up until the time of transplant with no symptoms. I wish you well in your decision making process. It is important to have the transplant when you are feeling pretty good if possible.

DanL Thu Feb 4, 2016 11:12 PM

I was just transforming to RAEB II when my transplant was done in February 2014. I have had some bumps along the way, but have been making progress.

Amyleighd Fri Feb 5, 2016 10:01 AM

My dad had high risk MDS and just had a haploidentical (half-match)bone marrow transplant Jan. 13, 2016.....so far, so good. He is 71 and was on vidaza for 8 months and in remission at the time of transplant. 11% blast and the time of diagnosis and after vidaza treatment blast went down to less that 1%.