Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Alternative Treatments (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Discovery on Increasing Platelets - Papaya Leaves (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2352)

fibogann Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 PM

New Discovery on Increasing Platelets - Papaya Leaves

Once a while, I go online to research on foods that can help increase platelets, as one significant indication of AA is the appearance of petechiea - which marks the onset of low platelets.

Today, I did the same and found out there has been a new discovery reported in The Star newspaper, Malaysia about increasing platelets using papaya leaves- when several doctors were trying to cure dengue.

As it is against this forum's policy to copy and paste entire articles from elsewhere( I learnt this very early on when this forum was started ), here are a few lines appended from the news report:

Doc: Papaya leaves can cure dengue

KUALA LUMPUR: Papaya leaves and pegaga (centella asiatica) juice are a possible cure for dengue fever, a recent study revealed.

It has been reported that many people consume papaya leaves or pegaga juice to increase their platelet count after they contract dengue fever.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets).

The study was initiated and led by Dr S. Kathiresan of AIMST University.
Green remedy: Researchers find the powder from papaya leaves contains substances that promote the production of platelets.

Dr Kathiresan said the leaves of papaya fruit were high in complex vitamins that might help bone marrow to rapidly increase blood platelet production...."

For those more technically inclined, this discovery is reported in the medical journals, and you can see an extract here, and also download the pdf as well:

Extract and PDF download

Hope this info is interesting and may be useful to some.

Ruth Cuadra Wed Aug 31, 2011 01:08 AM

Peter, it's nice to hear from you again. Thank you for sharing this information about papaya for platelets. Even though the study is very preliminary, it's encouraging to know that such possibilities exist for alternative ways to help the body make platelets.

To all, as you can see from Peter's signature line, his son made a complete recovery from aplastic anemia. You might like to read some of his older posts by clicking "Find all posts by fibogann" on his profile page.

Regards,
Ruth

glitterandlace Sun Oct 9, 2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibogann (Post 19735)
Once a while, I go online to research on foods that can help increase platelets, as one significant indication of AA is the appearance of petechiea - which marks the onset of low platelets.

Today, I did the same and found out there has been a new discovery reported in The Star newspaper, Malaysia about increasing platelets using papaya leaves- when several doctors were trying to cure dengue.

As it is against this forum's policy to copy and paste entire articles from elsewhere( I learnt this very early on when this forum was started ), here are a few lines appended from the news report:

Doc: Papaya leaves can cure dengue

KUALA LUMPUR: Papaya leaves and pegaga (centella asiatica) juice are a possible cure for dengue fever, a recent study revealed.

It has been reported that many people consume papaya leaves or pegaga juice to increase their platelet count after they contract dengue fever.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets).

The study was initiated and led by Dr S. Kathiresan of AIMST University.
Green remedy: Researchers find the powder from papaya leaves contains substances that promote the production of platelets.

Dr Kathiresan said the leaves of papaya fruit were high in complex vitamins that might help bone marrow to rapidly increase blood platelet production...."

For those more technically inclined, this discovery is reported in the medical journals, and you can see an extract here, and also download the pdf as well:

Extract and PDF download

Hope this info is interesting and may be useful to some.

This is awesome news. But the only thing I was thinking is where do you buy this papaya leaf extract or powder. (or is the whole leaf?) Can you please tell us where to purchase it and how to consume it if you know already? And have you tried it yet? Thank you so much for the post =-)

fibogann Sat Oct 15, 2011 07:39 AM

Hi glitterandlace,

Papaya leaf powder ( not to be confused with green papaya fruit powder ) is available by online order through the internet, so it is widely available nowadays. However, I do believe the papaya leaf powder is available on special order through your local health store.

Here is a link that will provide you with various sources which supplies the papaya leaf powder:

CLICK HERE

You may want to talk to your local health store and tell them of the source, and they may get it for you.

If you read the report in the medical journal carefully, the papaya leaf powder was made into a suspension in palm oil before being used.

Also remember to look into shark liver oil as a means of raising platelets... there is a whole lot of literature on this as well.

All the best,

glitterandlace Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 AM

I couldn't log into this site for a while. I actually found a health food store and have been drinking the papaya leaf tea for 1 week now. I get my blood levels tested today so wish me luck.. if the papaya leaf does work I will be letting everyone know.... Thanks!

glitterandlace Wed Apr 18, 2012 03:55 AM

Hi.... Got my labs back. My last Blood and platelet transfusions were 4 weeks ago. My platelets held at 17 for 2 weeks straight now. This past week I was drinking the papaya leaf tea. If I do see results with it, this will be the first place I go, to tell everyone. I will continue to drink the tea (taste horrible!!!)
I am currently taking no other treatment besides alternative therapy(raw food diet, juicing, macrobiotic). So If I see results it will be because of the papaya leaves. Wish me luck everyone!!!!!

Neel Mon May 7, 2012 11:47 PM

tried without any response

Wer have tried it papaya leaves tea many times but without any positive results. We have also tried wheatgrass and aloevera juice tea but that too without any result. We dont take these things raw as chances of infection are there, so dont know the outcome of these when taken raw.

regards,

neel

glitterandlace Sun May 27, 2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterandlace (Post 23074)
Hi.... Got my labs back. My last Blood and platelet transfusions were 4 weeks ago. My platelets held at 17 for 2 weeks straight now. This past week I was drinking the papaya leaf tea. If I do see results with it, this will be the first place I go, to tell everyone. I will continue to drink the tea (taste horrible!!!)
I am currently taking no other treatment besides alternative therapy(raw food diet, juicing, macrobiotic). So If I see results it will be because of the papaya leaves. Wish me luck everyone!!!!!

I stopped drinking the papaya leaf tea after almost 3 weeks. My platelets dropped and it made me feel dizzy and broke my skin out... But I would be interested to see if anyone else took it longer with any results. Right now I am trying wheat grass tea a couple times a week. I make it myself by dehydrating and crushing fresh wheat grass,, then it making the tea in my coffee machine.

TonyBegg Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 AM

papaya leaf extract - another data point

Karin is trying Papaya Leaf Extract. 10 days so far, 1000mg morning and night. Two CBCs 7 days apart at the Cancer Center lab gave 17000 platelets each time. The Hematologist expected a drop and to need another transfusion. Early days yet though, so fingers crossed. PNH and moderate AA (neutrophils 0.75 x 10^9 / Liter). Taking Rosmarinic Acid capsules too to try to inhibit complement activation for PNH.

TonyBegg Tue Sep 3, 2013 09:36 PM

papaya leaf still apparently helping

Karin (PNH with thrombocytopenia) is still benefiting from taking Papaya Leaf Extract. We have had 4 CBC taken, one week apart (spans 3 weeks therefore) and the platelets were 17000, 17000, 16000, 15000. So not increasing as we had hoped but probably saved 2 platelet transfusions so far given their pre-papaya leaf extract frequency. She needs RBC transfusion tomorrow since the hemolysis is high (LDH 640ish depending on proportion of transfused blood in circulation). They will transfuse platelets if they get to 10000 or she has unusual bruising/petuchiae/nose bleeds. I think the papaya leaf is managing to get her marrow to produce platelets but not at a rate that exceeds their half-life.

Cheryl C Wed Sep 4, 2013 06:03 AM

Have you seen the discussion elsewhere on the forum where it is claimed that Vitamin D3 helps platelets?

Whizbang Wed Sep 4, 2013 10:27 AM

First let me say, that I am on Dacogen treatment, and that the 1st round made my platelets go from 90 to 50 after the 1st week (averaging 80 for two months) ... Three days before my second weekly blood test, I read about D3 on here, and took it for those three days in dropper form: 2,500 IU's per day... my blood test came back at 60, so I put it aside, and figured it worked ok... I maybe took one more dose during the next week, and my 3rd weekly blood test came back with 209 platelets...

To be fair all my numbers rose, except for WBC and Neutrophils (which I believe is a known side-effect), and Dacogen may have played a part (been completely responsible) in the platelet rise... but my hemo/oncologist was absolutely astounded by the increase, even though RBC and Hb were up, they were only up 10-15%, Platelets were up nearly 350%... He said there is no explanation for such an increase...

Cheryl C Tue Oct 15, 2013 05:35 AM

For those interested in papaya (paw paw) leaf tea, this website has evidence of research results: http://papayaleaves.wordpress.com/page/2/

Relentless Against SAA Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 AM

Neutrophils and RBC

Does anyone know of anything that will increase RBCs and Neutrophils?
Peter, Any suggestions on what you feel helped your son overcome his SAA?

Whizbang Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 AM

I know Red Kidney beans are supposed to be good for red blood cell production, I eat them a couple times a week with brown rice... Together they make a complete protien (and a very good meal), which is very important for blood production...

As for Neutrophils, they are part of white blood cells, and the immune system... Neuprogen is a medicine that helps with WBC / Neutrophils, but 'may' increase blasts... Probably should be a last resort...

Multivitamin with Copper, Folic acid, B complex, and Vitamin D3 are very important... I've also started Vitamin K2 (but this shouldn't be taken if your on a blood thinner) These have helped me as I am borderline vitamin D deficient 30 ng/ml if I recall which is right on the line between low and normal.

I also don't over do supplements, alternating which ones I take every other day...

Best of luck to you RA SAA, and God Bless...

Kathy S Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 PM

You can buy it on line in tea form

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterandlace (Post 20267)
This is awesome news. But the only thing I was thinking is where do you buy this papaya leaf extract or powder. (or is the whole leaf?) Can you please tell us where to purchase it and how to consume it if you know already? And have you tried it yet? Thank you so much for the post =-)

My husband has been drinking the tea I ordered from Budda every morning. Read his results and in 2 months he went into total remission on Vidaza and the following, I also did a lot of research on line and I have been doing green Organic juicing for him daily, morning of plenty of fruit including fresh papaya, pineapple, mangos, etc.

TonyBegg Fri Nov 22, 2013 02:47 PM

papaya leaf extract

Karin is getting both the tea and capsules from Herbal Papaya. Apparently Iowa Select Herbs sells similar products. Karin is still seeing platelets staying above 13000 but not by much, however she has not needed any platelet transfusions (which prior to the papaya leaf were happening about every 10 days when the count dipped to 10000). I believe we had been going 10 days when I first posted August 22nd (it is now November 22nd). Karin also takes Rosmarinic Acid capsules but the supplier has discontinued (changed to a formulation with Butterbur which we don't need and half as much Rosmarinic Acid). Karin believes they are synergistic and we are running out of the Rosmarinic Acid. No other source known (outside of China which I will not touch since cannot guarantee quality) to us. She still needs RBC transfusions about once a month.

brizz Mon Dec 23, 2013 01:43 PM

Peter I was wondering what kind of diet your son was on? I'm currently struggling with severe aa as your son. I'm 23 and I'm taking many things but I just ordered the papaya leaf extract and the shark liver oil. I'm just wondering what else you would recommend.

Counts today
Plts 69 , hematocrit 38 , neutrophils .6

fibogann Wed Jan 1, 2014 08:00 PM

Hi Brizz,

There was no specific diet I put my son on, other than making sure he was getting his protein from fish and reducing red meat. I did tried juicing - particularly carrot juicing - during the initial stage of the treatment after learning from Marla Brown how it helped in her case. However, the juicing led to a cough and a cold ( perhaps overjuicing ), and we discontinued juicing thereafter. I did find out that to increase platelets, two foods seemed to stand out - the shark liver oil and sesame seeds. The shark liver oil was prescribed by the treating herbalist and doctor.

My personal thoughts are that there were a few things that I did that helped during the initial stages:

1. the use of an air filter in my son's room to remove any pollutants - to ensure he stays healthy during his weakened condition - and the discontinued use of known cleaning agents and chemicals. ( The cause of AA being idiopathic- so we thought removing a possible cause is good too ).
2. the use of the herbal treatment ( Blood Tonic, Blood Well, shark liver oil ) as complementary to the ATG, especially the shark liver oil.

Do read about the use of shark liver oil in helping patients who have undergone chemotherapy. To this day, one "food" is to be avoided that brings the platelets count down almost immediately, and that is alcohol. This is a precaution - Do not drink alcoholic drinks if your platelets is low. The shark liver oil is taken as a supplement daily.

Hope this helps.

joesmith Sun Jan 5, 2014 03:07 PM

Shark Liver Oil

Hi Peter - My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer and after multiple rounds of chemo and radiation is on hormone therapy for the last 3 years. Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with MDS now and it is heart wrenching to see that there are really not many options with modern medicine. I came across the success story of your son while researching for alternate medicines. I pray that God continues to bless him and take care of him. My mom has been on fish oil since her start of chemo but some how we did not hear of shark liver oil until now. I took your advice and did some research on the internet. I was surprised to learn about all the health benefits particularly for people dealing with cancer. Will appreciate if you can share additional insights based on your experience:

1. What is the recommended dosage of shark liver oil for an adult? My mom is 60.

2. What brand do you use and/or recommend?

3. Are there any precautions to be mindful of when taking shark liver oil (other than alcohol which you specifically listed in your post earlier)?

4. Is shark liver oil fattening? I know we had this concern when we started fish oil for my mother and soon realized that in fact it is just the opposite as it helps boast HDL and reduce LDL.

Thanks for sharing your insights with the community at large. Its together that we can battle this disease and also help support the other brothers and sisters that are dealing with this unfortunate situation.

bailie Sun Jan 5, 2014 08:16 PM

I am very sorry to hear about your news. I was taken off fish oil immediately upon my diagnosis for MDS. It depends on your blood counts. The fish oil can contribute to bleeding which is one of the symptoms for MDS.

Cheryl C Sun Jan 5, 2014 08:32 PM

I didn't know about sesame oil for increasing platelets. That's interesting, especially since I love it!

I just found this website - not sure how reliable the information is but it may be worth a read as it mentions sesame oil AND coconut water which was also new to me: http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Low-Platelet-Count

ghoshmanideep Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 PM

SAA

My father is 73 years old. Suffering SAA. Very low platelets count 10000 only.Need blood & platelets transfusion every 10 to 15 days interval.Is papaya leaf extract powder help him for increase his platelets count

Fana Tue Dec 23, 2014 06:06 AM

Hi everyone I saw this post today just want to add some thing papaya leaf extraction is give to rise platelet count in dengue fever in a very small dose..I have heard excess amount of papaya extract can damage the kidneys. I tried it for my son before the transplant didn't do anything to his counts. I just made him drink a terrible juice :(