View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 03:16 PM

Update....

A week after my Dad got a transfusion (2 units, which brought his HBG up to 9.2) it's down to 8.5, and they are giving him two units tomorrow. I thought this was a little high to get a transfusion, but he isn't feeling the best.

Now, for what I think is some good news.........his platlets went from 16000 to 540000 in four days. I know that is high, but his original diagnosis was MPD, which changed to MDS about a year or so ago. I am hoping that the big swing in platelets will be followed by a boost in hemoglobin as well, as I think that is how it worked for him before. He has to wait for the blood until tomorrow because it takes a long time to match the antibodies. Apparently the more transfusions you get, the more you build up antibodies, and the longer it takes to get an exact match. I'm glad they are so careful.

Anyone have any insight on this? I don't think I've come across anyone on here that has such swings in platlets. I am hoping this starts a trend and means the supressive nature of the vidaza is wearing off and it will start working and swing the counts up.

Thanks again for allowing me to ask questions on this wonderful forum. My Prayers are with you all.