View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 09:32 PM

forevr30

A somewhat similar situation with my husband, he was diagnosed originally with 10% blasts at our local hospital. We brought the slides to Sloan Kettering who said the blast count was 15%, from reading I knew the percentage can vary, but we did not want to delay treatment. We had already contacted the NIH and they were all set to schedule an appointment for a complete review, my husband was hestitant about another BMB and also being further away from home. One thing comes back to give me pause, when I told the nurse at NIH that Sloan had read 15% blasts she said then that is AML, which did not fit into what is written. Normally what I had read was 20% blasts moves you into the category of AML. Wanting to get on with treatment and stay closer to home we opted to begin treatment and cancelled the appointment at the NIH, but I do wonder how if they would have treated the 15% blasts more aggressively??? Two course of Dacogen and blasts moved to 20%, so he just completed induction therapy for AML. Not sure how that helps at this point, other than to say another opinion with experts in the field might be worth the time and travel.

Wishing you well as I know it is a difficult time,

Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.