View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 7, 2010, 12:26 PM

Hi TYTD,

I had expected my "signature" to appear on the post, but obviously I made one or more mistakes. Hopefully my signature will appear on this post - it answers your question on timing of diagnoses. However, just in case it doesn't I was diagnoses with ITP in 2000, MDS in 2005, and myelofibrosis in 2009. In addition, my name "gipper" was previously known on this site as Bill F, which is still my moniker on the MDS forum site. I hadn't logged in, in quite a while, forgot my ID and password, got a new email address and found it easier to start over.

Anyway, after my diagnosis of ITP, no treatment was required or rendered as my platelet count was not very low. Then in early 2005 my hgb plunged and I began receiving packed red blood cell transfusions (100 so far).
I have not read of ITP transitioning to MDS, but who knows. The side effects I've noticed in getting Nplate injections, have been negligible until possibly the last couple of weeks. Have experienced significant pain in my left foot - almost started using my crutches. Instead went to urgent care had X-rays which were relatively normal. Just a little bone thinning was noticed, consistent with my age. I survived after getting a prescription for pain - took all of 6 tablets. Now the fourth most common side effect of Nplate in one of the trials was arthralgia (joint pain). Guess the only way to know if Nplate is the cause is to stop taking the drug. That probably won't happen until I have my spleen removed. I see my hematologist tomorrow and will ask about this.

Gipper
gipper (AKA bill f), 76, ITP 11/00, MDS RA 1/05; myelodysplasia/myelofibrosis non-classifiable 4/09; revlimid ineffective; Dacogen positive; Nplate helpful, thalidomide better for low pltlt count; splenectomy 5/11; RAEB-2 9/11; Vidaza pending