View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:48 AM

Low blood donation time of year--WE can help!

[b]I wrote and submitted this to a local free paper for submission--numerous people all over the county told me they saw it. Hopefully, as a "by-product", it may have encouraged a few people to remember to donate...[b]

November 2010

This is a "thank you" to people I have never met, never will, and yet they are literally a part of my life. Thanks to you all, I am here this Thanksgiving holiday.
Last Thanksgiving holds a special meaning to me as I spent it in a hospital, undergoing intense chemotherapy for Acute Leukemia. Over the past year, I have had numerous blood and platelet transfusions to allow me to survive while undergoing continuing treatment for my disease. THANK YOU to all of the blood donors, who make the effort and take the time to donate your blood and other various lifesaving blood products. It was there the second I needed it--every time! Each time I watch the nurse hang a bag of blood or precious platelets, I wonder who the donor was, and if he or she knew how important their donation is in prolonging my life. And, of course, thanks to the Red Cross and all of the doctors, nurses, and other people and organizations who make this miracle happen, every day, for many of us facing all types of health challenges. Because of you, I will get to spend Thanksgiving 2010 with my precious family. Without your sacrifice and generosity, I would not be alive today. This Thanksgiving, I give special thanks to the blood donors in our country!
Sincerely,
Cheri Decker

If each one of us put a reminder to donate in our local papers, imagine the response! It seems to me, blood drives are often underpublicized.
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly