Thread: My Father
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:25 PM

Your Father

I am so sorry to hear this...I have often wrestled with to what degree those who we depend on for care are really treating us as individuals. Often I feel that my health is in the hands of some people who treat this line of work as just a job, when my LIFE depends on their actions and responses. I don't understand why the doctor would not transfuse platelets. In my experience, platelet transfusions usually occur below 20K, definitely under 10...mine have been as low as 2K and I still did not have any type of bleed. But they had in me the hospital immediately and gave me platelets asap.
Could your father's age been a factor in any of this? Or any other cause? It seems like he beat the odds with AML for 2 years, and then being rediagnosed as CLL....
Hopefully, someone can give you some answers, but all I can offer is my sincere sympathy for your loss. Take care....
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly