View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 02:29 PM

Newly diagnosed with MDS

I am writing for my brother in law who was just diagnosed with MDS. He doesn't understand the doctor's explanation - it was over the phone - and he had no idea what doc was talking about, didn't understand any of the terms, etc. So I have been reading, studying, googling, etc.

His WBC is 2.4/low (Lymphocytes 47.0/high, Monos 4.0/low, Neutrophils 44.8/low, Granulocytes 1.3 /low

RBC is 3.05/low (HGB 11.0/low, Hematocrit 32.6/low, MCV 108.0/high, MCH 37.2/high, MCHC ok, RDW 15.9/at high point)

Platelets 58/low

Blasts 7%

The bone marrow diagnosis is difficult to understand

Trilineage dysplasia with increased blasts, best characterized as refractory anemia with increased blasts -which means cells are abnormal in size/shape and immature?

Dyserythropoiesis with megaloblastoid changes ?

Neutropenia with hypogranular neutrophils -low white cells?

Myeloid left shift with increased blasts (7% by flow) -immature?

Megakaryocytic hypoplasia tih dysmegakaryopoiesis -low platelets?

Absence of iron stores ?

I read what an IPPS score is but I can't find this on any of his reports. Can anyone guess at what this score might be from the above? He won't call the first doc and ask these questions. Am trying to inform him, he has an appointment with Cleveland Clinic on the 17 for a second opinion, but he would like to know where he stands as far as being low or high risk.

He has not had chemo, nor been exposed to chemicals, but I would say he is an alchoholic and did smoke, he is 74. Can't think of anything else to ask. Would appreciate any info on where he stands as far a risk factor.

Thank you, Sandy