View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 07:34 PM

The best laid plan...

Hi
I looked at the link on travel tips and surprisingly, it was the one I wrote, before my road trip to Florida this past winter! (ironically, the time I spent with my brother, thisclose to the Mayo clinic, was the ONE time I didn't need a transfusion!!!) Seemed like a great plan, but didn't go that way in actuality. My insurance company only covers the my tri state area, so I was forced to rethink my plans. Only ER visits would be covered, with a $125 copay....(If I were staying at a place for an extended period of time, and I had the right insurance, my first plan would have worked)
What actually happened was I would get my blood tested regularly at Laborps along the way, and when my platelets dropped to 20k, I began looking for the nearest ER....where I would check in, provide all my information, and get platelets transfused. It was inconvenient, and sometimes took up to 12 hours, but it kept me going. And it was a great time with lots of fun memories, and having moments of relief from the angst of this disease is a necessary thing......good soul food is important!
That being said, your Mom is 88 and if she feels up to the drive, why not? She can rest the whole time driving~what will the scene be like where you are going? I would just have a plan "B" --if she should suddenly feel bad, can you get home reasonably quickly? Or meet your siblings halfway? Do you have time constraints, as when you need to be back for work and such?
I think your upcoming tests may ultimately provide the answer you are looking for, or, perhaps a pre trip transfusion of platelets would buy you some extra going away time....Good luck and happy travels!
ps. My mom just turned 88 on Sunday...God Bless our little old Mommas!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly