Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Thanks DanL and Greg
Well, I don't see anything on clinical trials.gov relating to AML without the prior transplant.

I have taken transplant off the table for a variety of reasons....after much thought and research. (no sib donors) And I am not up to being poisoned to near death again with a strong induction regimen......for 2 months more at most....
Cheri,

I remember your earlier posts about how chemo darn near killed you. I've done a lot more reading on MDS than on AML, so I'm not much help. But digging around on clinicaltrials.gov and elsewhere, it does seem like one sort of cytotoxic chemotherapy or another is the weapon of choice. There are some trials out there using Gleevec and even Decitabine, but most seem to involve chemo drugs -- like your Ara C -- as well. As Birgitta notes, Estybon is one exception that might be worth a look.

If your doc is truly a "little guy," it might be a really good idea to get a consult from a "bigger guy" at one of the university or teaching hospitals that's within reach -- though I understand you aren't much interested in Hopkins.

Take care!

Greg
Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com