View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 2, 2011, 04:13 PM

Hey tytd!

Thanks for that explanation, which makes perfect sense. It would be just like a bunch of hematologists to decide to use something complicated, like "diploid cytogenetics," to mean "normal."

The Manx rocket -- which, it occurs to me, may be called "the Manx Missile," since that has a better alliterative effect -- is from the Isle of Man, which sits in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland. "The Cav," as he is also known, is a classically mouthy, egotistical sprinter (and a charming and attractive young man, according to my wife) who added much to the fun of last year's Tour de France. I enjoy watching the saga that is the Tour each year -- despite all the melodrama of the doping scandals -- at least as much for the colorful characters and fantastic scenery as for the sport. Plus, I learn stuff. Who knew folks from the Isle of Man were called Manx?!

By the way, back to cytogenetics, when I got the results of my last BMB, the cytogenetic report included an actual photo of my chromosomes. It was kind of odd to look at that -- particularly with those three copies of Chromosome 8 staring you in the face. Unfortunately, it was just a fax and not suitable for framing, but I hope to wrangle a better out of the NIH so I can hang it on my wall.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com