View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:13 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to my hell Just kidding. I was 25 weeks pregnant when I was diagnosed. I had over 60 platelet transfusions and probably near that for units of blood prior to getting my transplant. They did the watch and wait game while pregnant and thankfully no intervention was necessary. My doctor, who consulted with Dr. Neil Young at the NIH, told me it could take up to 3 months to find out if the condition would go away after pregnancy.

I had my transplant when my son was 4 months old. My condition went from being moderate aplastic anemia in Dec 2010 to severe aplastic anemia, MDS and PNH in July 2011. My doctors that did my transplant said this was likely due to waiting so long for the transplant.

It is HARD to recover with an infant. I have been living with my in-laws in order to be within 30 min of the hospital. I was suppose to have help from both of my in-laws, but they pretty much abandoned me half way to Day 100. I had to call my mom in to help, she lives 2.5 hours away. I still need help, but am managing. My advice is that you are going to need 24/7 help not just for you but for your baby as well. My experience is pretty well documented on my blog.

I'm so happy to hear that you and baby made it this far! Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need advice, want to talk about how difficult it is/was with a newborn, etc. My personal contact information is on my blog as well.