View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:52 PM

Campath vs ATG

Hi Nadia,

I agree with Greg that immune suppression vs. the other MDS drugs may make more sense for you right now in hopes of putting the disease into a longer remission.

However, I would go with ATG/Cyclosporine before Campath. So we have a debate on our hands! From what I've read, Campath seems equivalent in response to Rabbit ALG/Cyclosporine, which doesn't appear to be as effective as a first line of treatment for immune mediated diseases. Now if you have blasts or cytogenetic abnormalities that are leading to the MDS diagnosis, that's a whole other story. But if your MDS diagnosis is only due to significant dysplasia in your cell lines, there is a chance that it will behave like AA.

ATG/Cyclosporine will bring down all of your counts for a few days because of the high fevers that you will spike during the administration at the hospital. However, once the fever subsides, your counts will return to your "normal" (or potentially even higher). Then the waiting begins...

Also, although some people have a bad reaction to Cyclosporine, most people don't, especially if the doctors are skilled in administering it. There are a lot of kidney transplant patients that are on the drug for life! Also, Cyclosporine is used in clinical trials after relapse from Campath. It is a strong drug. It is a dangerous drug. It is a powerful drug as well. I owe my life to it.

Finally, I don't think the relapse rate is any better with Campath vs ATG.

This is just my opinion on the issue. Of course, I'm biased on the issue I certainly don't want to discourage people from the clinical trial. I just don't see Campath as the "silver bullet" for MDS or AA. For this reason, it would be my second choice.