View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 6, 2012, 01:42 PM

Low platelets

Hi Julie,
You know the platelets can be of good quality - then the counts can be very low. Then they can be dysfunctional as mine are. When they are low - less than 25 - I get petecia (small bleedings) around the eyes, blood blisters in the mouth and traces of blood from the nose.

The most important thing when the platelets are low is to avoid everything that can decrease them for example infections. You have had infections the last year. Is there some way to keep away from infected persons? Then many drugs for example all painkillers can decrease platelets.

I understand that you are afraid - in fact it was my low platelets that made me accept treatment with Thalidomide after 4 years of supportive therapy.

Bleedings often come from the stomach or intestines. It is not difficult to see that - if the stool is black there can be a bleeding from the stomach (black due to the acid) and if it is red there can be a bleeding from the intestines. Brain bleedings give stroke symptoms. Many women have low BP and don't easily get brain bleedings.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A