View Single Post
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 10:31 AM

Blood Draws

Deeno;

Earl has his labs drawn twice a week - usually Monday and Thursday. I do not do them here - the home health agency that gets us the supplies to flush his PICC line refuses to send me the needed tubes, vacutainer, etc. - since they want their own RN to come in to do it. Besides that - the hospital where we go is only a few minutes away from where he gets his chemo - and this way - them using the same diagnostic machines - you can rely on the levels. I would gladly do it - I asked them if they were hiring - and I would only have Earl as a client - but of course, they refused. Either way - Medicare is making out - they would pay the agency $120.00 a day to come in to flush his lines, and an additional $240.00 the day he gets his weekly dressing changes. Right now - I am doing it, and have had no problem. More importantly - Earl is more at ease with me instead of a stranger. So - if you look at the final figure - I am saving Medicare $1040.00 a week - and have been since Earl had his first PICC line put in last October - the one he has in now is his third - and there is no sign of inflammation or edema at the site. And the nurses where he gets his labs done and gets the transfusions say it is in good condition too. But, of course - we have a co-pay of $15.00 every time he gets a transfusion. The way I see it - they should disregard the copay since I am saving them a ton of money - but of course - they won't do that.
I am so glad you are getting to see your Dad - take lots of pics, do a journal while you are there if you aren't already - and record him telling you his experiences if he will let you. It makes it easier when the time comes - you actually have something from him. Part of my nursing experience was working hospice for quite a while - and it helped keep the families together and eased their pain. Just a suggestion.
Usually every hospital has a patient advocate - sometimes a social worker - and you could talk to them about your Dad needing home care. Remind them - and I think I am right - that he doesn't want to look like he is 'dependent' on anyone. I know Earl hates having me to do the things he used to do - and doesn't admit to his limitations. Pride can sometimes really be the downfall. Either way - good luck, and enjoy your visit.

Beth