View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:14 PM

Beth, Dean received Neulasta at the doctor's office the Sunday after he completed his first week of treatment with Dacogen. Our oncologist actually met us at his office, we have his home phone number and his pager number, tells us to call anytime we have a problem.

When Dean was admitted to the hospital on the Tuesday, which was after the Sunday he received Neulasta, the doctor changed his injections to Neupogen. He has been receiving an injection everyday in the hospital, eight days, and now that he his home, we drive to the doctor's office everyday for blood work and the injection of Neupogen. We are even meeting the doctor at the office on Saturday and Sunday so he can receive the injection. I do wonder how much Neupogen can one receive. I am discouraged though because today Dean's WBC is only 0.6, and his neutrophils are 0.0. When will the injections begin to work?

Dean will have to have labs done everyday for now. While he was in the hospital, the labs were being done there, now that he is home, they are being done at the doctor's office. The labs seem to both have the same results, don't know if that is good or bad since the results aren't all that good.

Thankfully Dean likes Ensure, the doctor told him to drink two bottles a day. Dean doesn't have an appetite, but he is forcing himself to eat, and the doctor told Dean if he feels like having a juicy cheeseburger and fries, to go ahead and have it.

We have Medicare Part A and B, and Dean's supplement is through AARP, so we have good coverage. Unfortunately Dean does not have Part D, for prescription drugs because up until now he wasn't on a lot of medication, just two for his heart, and he receives his medication through the VA. We checked with the VA regarding Revlimid last week, haven't heard back from them yet. Will call again next week to see what they tell us.

Birgitta-A, thank you for the information regarding the pain medication. Dean can only take Tylenol since he only has one kidney, so that was good news. Dean has not had any sores in his mouth yet, but he has only had one treatment of Dacogen.

Linda, you are so right, many people seem to be going through a lot at the moment, so sad. I know it has to be difficult to change doctors when you are trying to deal with all the ups and downs that go along with this disease, that should be what you are concentrating on, not finding a new doctor.

God Bless each of you, we keep you in our thoughts and prayers each day. Thank you for all your kind words and advice, it helps so much and means a lot to Dean and I.

(((Hugs))) always,
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013