View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:01 PM

Unhappy New Member - Mild MDS

If having systemic lupus was not enough = with abnormal labs since February 2011 - and then cbc's were extremely low, and I had trouble breathing, which I attributed to my COPD (my Mom had that), this new illness was diagnosed by a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. They say I have a "mild MDS." I had a blood transfusion two weeks ago - my hemo was 7.9 and hematocrit 23. Yesterday my hemo was 10.6 and hematocrit 31. So far the red blood cells they gave me are working, I guess. My onc told me I have slight kidney failure which is irreversible, and that Procrit shots will help my condition. I am severely fatigued, headaches, eyes hurt, legs feel like two tons of wood, numb toes, and I can't seem to keep weight on. It was scary until results came in. So far, they call it "mild." If this is mild - I can surely empathize with anyone who does not have "mild." I am 69 years old, active, play tennis 4 times a week, and struggle to do it all. Any input from anyone receiving Procrit injections will be most appreciated! Thank you!