View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:42 PM

copper replacement

Hi Chirley,
So glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you have been able to tolerate the copper. Hopefully the seizures will not return. I assume they checked all your other electrolytes at the time of the seizures to make sure they were OK as well. Just out of my curiosity, I wondered whether you had been tried on copper chloride as well as copper sulfate and what volume of fluid do they mix the copper in? I think both forms of copper are used in TPN (total parenteral nutrition), in much lower concentrations, but I am not certain of which is more commonly used. A pharmacist who mixes those solutions would probably be able to tell you. I think the trouble is that copper deficiency is so rare that many docs do not know the ins and outs of replacing it so they are learning with you. Have you ever asked your hematologist how many prior cases of bone marrow failure due to copper deficiency that he has treated? I am sorry that I am being so nosey but your case is fascinating and instructive. I wish that your copper problem had been detected earlier so that you would not have had to endure the loss of neurological function. You should record your story and have it published in a medical journal so that many docs can learn from it. I know you love being a guinea pig but your spirit is incredible. I hope that you will be able to continue the present regimen of copper and be able to continue to feel better. Tytd