View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 9, 2013, 11:24 PM

Hi, I have had surgery refused on my hip and my GP won't refer me to anyone besides the physio for my back.

I have impingement in both hips but it's the right hip that has been painful for over two years. An MRI showed an anterior, superior tear of the labral cartilage with tendinitis, bursitis and arthritis. The orthopaedic surgeon said it was too bad for keyhole surgery and would not do open surgery because of my mobility problems.

As for my back, where do I start? I was born with 6 lumbar vertebra instead of 5. The sixth was deformed and when I first started nursing it broke and I had bone chips in the spinal canal. I had a spinal bone graft done with success. Six months later I was at work when a patient on a theatre trolley was pushed into me and wedged me between the trolley and the wall and twisted me. I developed an unstable traumatic spondylolisthesis (one vertebra broke off and moved forward on the other). I had urgent surgery with more bone grafts and I have only had minor back problems since then (probably less than most people). When I had the MRI for my hip they also did a CT of my back and they found a degenerative spondylolithesis at a higher level. It didn't hurt so I ignored it. In the last six months I have developed BAD back pain which limits my activity. My left leg has also gone dead intermittently and it's happening more frequently. Because no one wants to do any further tests my GP isn't sure if my left leg problem is caused by my back or by my spinal cord degeneration. The physio says it's my back and he thinks my back and my hip both need surgery.

I was just interrupted by a phone call from the Physician, he doesn't like the dip in my WCC so I'm being admitted tomorrow for more copper. At least I know what's happening now.

Better go and order some more dog and cat food for when I'm away.

Bye.