View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:11 PM

OK - that's good they're still planning on transplant. You're on your way -- won't be easy, but you can do it! Will you be in the transplant hospital or local? Is the transplant doctor managing the treatment or hematologist? Hopefully everybody is coordinating your care and on the same page. After five weeks in hospital isolation (and another 3 months going to a day hospital) - here's what I've learned:

Don't be shy about morphine - if you need it make sure you get it. I had a pump that I could press a button and get a dose - switched to dilaudid because it worked better. They gave me ativan for nausea which was also helpful - they have other drugs to control other side effects. They were pretty eager to give me whatever would make me feel better. Not a bad time to be slightly sedated.

Make sure everybody/thing is clean - wash your hands a lot. Visitors will probably need mask and gloves etc. Hopefully room/ unit is designed for transplant patients and will have additional measures to keep out germs. If you're local make sure everybody/thing is clean - don't be afraid to remind people to wear mask/gloves etc.

Hopefully you will enjoy hospital food as much as I. Try and find some meaning and something positive about this experience. Get out of bed and move as much as you can - you are no longer living with a relentless life threatening disease - you are embarking on a cure - you're in training to get healthy. Think Rocky. Listen to music. Enjoy showering. Remember you can overcome anything - Don't be afraid.

After all you've been through you are totally badass! Don't forget.

I'm still planning on coffee - Keep us posted.

Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015