View Single Post
Old Mon May 20, 2024, 03:02 PM

Smile MDS 7 years post transplant: doing very well !

Hello everyone,
Every year I like to come back to this forum and say hello to wish you all the best, and update everyone on my health. I was diagnosed in 2016. My stem cell transplant was in 2017, and it's been 7 years already !

I moved to California last year, the weather in the Bay Area is wonderful!
Before moving, I said farewell to my hematologist in Tokyo, he was the best during my transplant and helped me with my acute and chronic gvhd complications. I've tapered all steroids for a few years already, my gvhd has burnt out, and my chronic sinus is behaving too, thank goodness. The doctor said I don't need any more medications.

I have a new hematologist here in the Bay Area, and after seeing my blood counts,
WBC 6.9 RBC 3.91 Plts 165 Hmg 12.3
the new hematologist also stated I did not need any more meds, and if I'd like, I could have vitamins to booster my strength.

I've received all of my vaccinations and even a colonoscopy, the results were good.
I now have a part time job at a school near my place, the pay isn't much but I can socialize and feel like I'm helping with my neighborhood.

It took me 7 years, though some of my friends were good after 2-3 years, but I'm 58 already, so no complaints there. I can finally enjoy not having to worry about doctors appointments, blood results highs and lows, and time to take meds. I so hope this will happen to all of the patients in this forum. My best wishes and prayers to all the caregivers too.
Thank you John, Marlene and Rarity, I hope you are all doing well.
Thank you Ruth and Neil.
Meri