View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 3, 2008, 01:48 PM

Bittersweet Update 7/3/08

Hola Amigos

Nellie completed her second cycle of Vidaza last Thurs, a week ago. This Weds. she saw her doctor and had labs done. Over the last few weeks we saw her HGB <9.9, <9.6, then suddenly up to 10.2. w/o tx. Her plts jumped from 17 to >107 then again to >143. WBC dropped fr 3.8 <2.40 and now <2.00. Dr Morris said it's expected. Well I worry because Nellie has Lupus which already is an immune system problem.

Well, Nellie and I are positive that Vidaza is working. I guess we will have to see for how long it continues to work. "Blue" says it help him for 12 months. Is that about the average, or is the average still an unknown?? Is there anyone out there with a longer track record??

We are hoping the Vidaza will put Nellie in remission. But then what? Does she have to take Vidaza indefinately, or what?? Or is a transplant inevitable? And if so, why wait after achieving remission??? And what is JAK2 mutation?? Dr Cogle thinks she has this.

Bittersweet, that's what it is. thanks for listening.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.