View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 07:48 PM

thank you!

Thank you both for responding!! It helps just to know there is someone out there going through the same things. I have really gotten a lot of good info from marrowforums! The oncologist originally said my dad had the deletion 5q variety of MDS. I have devoured all of the info I can find on MDS and still feel at a loss to help him sometimes. He has platelet counts that have been down to 7 but are now transfusing below 30 and transfusing red blood cells when hemoglobin is below 9 or so. He seems to forget or not want to remember the ins and outs of this disease and seems to frequently ask "why" on many aspects of MDS. He is also struggling with losing independence due to not being strong and alert enough to drive. We are trying to let him be as independent as we can, but still be safe. He also just had a reading of 2003 on his ferritin level. He is not sure if his doctor is going to treat him and I haven't had a chance to call to see yet. I was wondering about the risks associated with treating the iron overload.