View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:03 AM

Pop update, Late 07/24/2008

Hello all;

Thank you for checking up. I have not been regular in the past month due to changes in Pop's condition. So here we go.

Pop was officially off the Neuprogin last week. He did not get that shot at all. He also did not get the Procrit, due to the Hemoglobin being at 10.2. He did receive platelets and a chemo {Ara-C : Cytarabine}. The weekend was rough, we knew that he was having a hemoglobin issue. Tuesday he got checked, and his hemoglobin was 8.2 and his platelets were 6. Wednesday morning, mom had to help him get ready to go to the hospital, I was in Asheville at V.A. or I would have. His eyes were extremely blood shot and the vessels were large. He also was concerned about a strange feeling in his nose. He did get to the hospital to receive his platelets and 2 units of blood. He went under his own power, and refused a wheel chair. I think he may have taken one, but mom said he saw Pat, a women he See's in the room, and she was walking using the hand rail to the Same Day Unit. So, Pop said " If Little Pat can do it, I can do it!" Mom stated he promptly got sick as soon as he sat down. He is the tough one. I don't think the Leukemia will kill him, I believe it will be his pride.

The bad news, and we all knew it was coming, after his treatments, his Hemoglobin only went to 8.4 and his platelets to 33. Gonna be another rough weekend. I feel he is on the verge of twice weeklies. He said he would not do that, but I believe the Dr. said the same thing.

His spirits are good, he is just tired and grumpy. So I grump back. He stated a while back, "If I get like my dad, Just shoot me." Last week I asked him where he hid the gun. He thought that was funny, after he got over being insulted.

We, in a way, will become our fathers. It can't be helped. We all are the fruit of their loins, and it can't be helped. I have been accused more times than not by my wife that I sounded just like Bob. Thats o.k. I can live with that.

Scott,
Son of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.