View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 07:01 AM

Pop UpDate 08/20/2008 Procrit stopped

I know I made an update the other day, but I wanted to put out the transfusion info from yesterday. Pop received his bag of Platelets and 2 units of blood yesterday. His test after the transfusions put his hemoglobin at 8.1 and platelets at 50. He has been eating the plates in less than a weeks time. Anyway, the reason I am writing is this. When he was finished, he went to "Katie's World" the clinic in Murphy Hospital where the cancer patients go, and was setting up a time for the Thursday Chemo and Procrit. Katie told him the the Procrit was "black boxed"??? This means that he will no longer receive it. Katie stated that there have been issues with organ damage,"something we knew with our own research", so many clinics are pulling it; however, the Procrit held his Hemoglobin at near or above the transfusion level after the chemo. With out it, he will continue to drop.

After work I mowed his lower field, and then we had a chance to have a good talk last night, and this was something that we expected the Dr. or Medicare to pull him off of. Next stop, we expect the Dr. or Medicare will stop the blood and platelets. He has already had small bleeds, and red spots on his skin when his numbers get really low and now without the Procrit, he will definitely be starting twice weeklies.

Pop will be 77 on Monday. Never thought he would see it. Saturday, we're having a small party for him. Week ends are already tough for him, now this one will be tougher.

I really appreciate the support, comments and feed back. I am wondering if anyone else has had their Procrit removed recently?

Thank you for letting me ramble once again.

Scott
Son of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.