View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 3, 2008, 09:58 AM

Hi Scott,

So sorry to hear about this new development. Have you thought of getting the social worker at the hospital involved. Both for you and your Dad. They may have suggestions on how to better deal with this. Seeing a decline in mental capacity is difficult especially when the personality changes. I do think your doctor could and should advise him not to drive anymore. He could frame it around "low counts" and how it impacts his reaction times, the potentail to pass out at the wheel, spontaneous bleeding, etc. Also, you may want to ask if there's medication that can help him through some of this. I don't know if it's a good idea personally just because these drugs can alter mental status even more, but it's something to explore.

I remember when my aunt was dying from cancer and in the last few months of her life, her personality changed also. She said some harsh things and just wasn't the person we knew. However, this is not time we remember most. We know her true character and kindness, and that is what sticks.

Just know that any action you must take is out of love and compassion. It takes a lot of courage to be caregiver at times. You know in heart that your dad loves and will always love you.

Wishing you the best,
Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.