View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:29 PM

Pop Update 09/18/2008

Hello all,
I'm stretching the up dates to 2 weeks apart because right now everything is pretty much the same. The last blood test showed his platelets low, weekly transfusions now; however his hemoglobin, which is usually in the mid 6's was 9.1 this week???? The other issue he is now having is his night sweats are burning his skin. He and mom have to change the bed up to 3 times a night. His sweat is also burning mom. The doctor stated it is the ARA-C chemo. He has been on it weekly for a year, and his body is full of it. We have instructed the kids to check with Pop before a hug. They are pretty good about it.

He went to the oncologist today, and they talked about everything. The doctor stated that the liver function tests are high, but the ARA-c is keeping him alive. He still has no blasts, except from time to time... odd. The doctor said the he can get off of the chemo, but he would die as soon as the leukemia started reproducing quickly again. He is still on the track to the same end, just slower than the doctor had predicted.

I asked pop if the burning, being as frequent as it is, was worth it. He said he will see. The next oncologist appt. is the week of Thanksgiving. Funny, last Thanksgiving was supposed to be our last holiday together. Goes to show you never know. I did say a while back that the leukemia had no idea who it was dealing with. Pop takes everything as a challenge. Pop "1", leukemia "0". It will get him eventually, but not when they said, when Pop says.

Oh, and the driving thing. Pop is still driving. Last week, on blood day, he was so tired he couldn't eat. He still drove. The doctor and the head of the same day clinic said NO! Well, we put our daughter in the after school program from Monday - Wednesday. That covered tired/weak days and blood day. Pop asked why, and I told him I could not trust him anymore on those days. He is too close to a potential bleed out, and I was not going to have my daughter and my mom in the car w/ him. He took it well. "She'll have a great time w. her friends'" he said. Man is he stubborn. I have been accused of being Son of Bob more than a thousand times or so; however, my wife does keep me in check.

Will keep you posted, and I have fresh pictures on myspace.com/schultze1963

Scott
Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.