Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 8, 2008, 08:37 PM

Thank you Neil, I am told that City of Hope is one of the best places to be, and I am fortunate to be in such good hands.

I got a call from one of my oncologists yesterday stating that they have decided not to start me on medication Monday after all since the likelihood of finding a donor for me is so high. I am perplexed and very apprehensive. Is it likely they have found a match for me already but don't know for sure so they aren't telling me? I feel it's odd that they are giving me a BMT so quickly (less than a month after diagnosis) without trying any kind of drug or alternate treatment. Is this common? I would appreciate hearing from anyone that knows someone or has experienced this themselves. I feel great at the moment. I was also told that the mortality rate is very high (one in three don't make it out of the hospital) so needless to say I am very scared... I am thinking that if drug therapy can stabilize my numbers then maybe I don't want a BMT just yet.