View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 08:20 PM

Pop Up-Date 11/20/2008

Hello,

Pop is declining pretty fast now. He is loosing strength in his lower legs, and has to use a shower seat due to the fact that he can't stand for long periods of time. His thrush really never went away, but we thought it was getting better, but it is returning and he sleeps most of the day now. He has been drinking lots of liquids, which will allow me to segway to today's oncologist visit.

Pop asked me to drive him to the oncologist today. He has gotten to the point that he has taken himself off the driving detail. The doctor is about an hour away, and he laid down for most of the trip. Mom was not in shape to drive. She has been averaging 2 to 3 hours of sleep per day. My wife Angie and I have tried to relieve her, but she will not take time off.

We asked a lot of questions today, and one of them was the metal taste that pop is getting in his mouth. We have all thought it was due to iron over load or the chemo, which he has been off for a while. The doctor stated that when the leukemia cells die off, like all cells do when they reach the end of their life, the leukemia cells release a chemical the produces a metal taste. {I did not know that} He instructed Pop to drink citrus and sour items, and asked mom to cook with a lemon base, which she has been doing for years. He stated that that is a sign that he is blasting; furthermore, his white count climbing was another sign.

Pop also asked him about a time line. We all got a chuckle out of that one. I stated "last Christmas." The doctor said if he follows his present course, meaning how he has deteriorated over the last month, a month or two. He stated not to get overly excited about Christmas, but he also added that Pop was not much for sticking to expectations. Pop is excited about Christmas because all of the family has scheduled to be here. Mom asked what to expect, or what will happen next. He stated that Pop will continue to loose strength and will eventually not be able to get out of bed.

The doctor gave him a prescription for his mouth, it should help, but did not guarantee it would cure the thrush. Pop's body is attacking itself, and there will be no winners.

I usually don't think much about the visits due to the fact that there is always an appointment for two months from now, and I don't get a "how much time do I have left with my father answer" from the doctor. Well I got one to day. As we were leaving, the doctor came out of his office and gave Pop a long hug good bye. That pretty much answers the question. He has never done that before.

I do hope that this rolling journal will help those with questions of "What is Next."

I have said it before, and I will say it forever. I am Son Of Bob, and I love my father.

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

Scott

Son Of Bob

P.S. Oh, and one pressure off Pop's mind. The Tractor is running again. preformed chores last week with it. Maybe he will take one more ride. I hope.
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.