View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 10:07 AM

Another Goal Reached

For those of us living in America, today is Thanksgiving. It has become many things to many people, but to most, and to me, it has always been a day of family, thanks for what we have and remembrance.

I remember last Thanksgiving 2007. Pop was in his first stages of Leukemia, and was told that he would not survive the Christmas holiday. Fast forward to today, and here he is. A testimony to Pops stubbornness. No, he is not very aware of his surroundings anymore and has lost conception of time. He sleeps most of the day, and has no strength left. Yes, he can hold a short conversation so I may still pick on him some. An odd relationship, but it works for us.

A few weeks ago, when he was feeling better, he had mom order a crown rib roast from the butcher for today. He said he wanted something different, and saw the picture of the roast in moms cooking magazine. He said if it was going to be the last Thanksgiving, he did not want turkey.

Today, mom is coming to our house to cook it. He can not handle the smells any more. He is hoping to be able to eat this evening; however, he has not been able to keep much of anything down except strawberry ensure and shakes. He has lost most taste due to the thrush and only sour things taste at all. That's o.k. Pop still beat the time line. He just wants to see his family. He really wants to be here for Christmas to see them all, but fears he will not.

He received blood yesterday, but it only came up to 8.5 from 8.2. His whites doubled since last week. I guess we are nearing the end. All he says now is that he just wants it to be over. He was been sick for some time, but just in the last two months, he has really been feeling it. My mother, being a member of the breast cancer club of the early 80's, said she remembers how he feels now. The difference is she got better and said pop looks much worse that she did.

He is sleeping now, and will be up for supper. My daughter, Belle, is having a tough time with it. It is hard for a 6 year old to see her Pop slowly die. She seems to have a grasp on it, but at times, has crying fits when watching a show with a sad scene. We talk about it, and I tell her that not all people die like this. Pop is strong, and he is looking forward to seeing my Grand Pa and Grand Ma. {Bompi and Gigi} She seems o.k. with that, but we all, even her teachers are watching her.

Today is thanks and remembrance, not unlike every other day for me. I am thankful for my wife and kids... all my kids. I am thankful for my job, as there are many without. I am thankful for, the most part, the world. There are more good people than bad, we just have to work a little harder to see that. I am thankful for the time I have gotten to spend with my parents and what they have taught me through actions and direction. They have taught me well. I know how to love, have fun, work hard and be a good husband and parent. But, most of all, I am thankful for being able to be here for my father in his last days. This is the last lesson he has to teach me. He is teaching me how to pass on to the next life with dignity and pride.

I love you Pop.

Scott

Son of Bob.
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.

Last edited by mannythedog : Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Major spelling errors.