View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 2, 2014, 10:38 PM

Fantastic News - Some hope in our fight

Glaxosmithkline have approved my Dad the supply of Eltrombopag. They have responded to a rather emotive letter I wrote - and working with my Dad's doctor, have given approval to supply my Dad with this little bit of hope in a tablet. Something we could never have afforded ourselves and is currently not subsidised in NZ.

Hurrah!

Now don't worry - we are totally realistic of where our hopes must be with regards to a) staying infection free with Zero Neutrophils long enough for the drug to have a chance to work and b) the effectiveness of the drug % wise.
But for those who have been following my posts will know that two weeks ago we had no further options. Now we have possibilities.

I am now going to put all my Dad's info and the eltrombopag dosage that he is on in an email to NIH to see if they can approve the dosage and how compatible it is with Danazol and Cyclosporine which it is intended he will continue to take.

I have learnt on this road, that it pays to be knowledgeable and the more heads working on a problem the better. My Dad's doctors are good. I am happy with what they are doing. Even if I have had to push and ask all the questions and make all the suggestions. Just because we put our Dad in a hospital, doesn't mean he stops being ours.

So keep up the good work, marrowforums. Thanks so much for being there to help me advocate for my Dad. Today we are in a much more hopeful place.
Father 72 has been diagnosed VSAA June 2014, was on cyclosporine as first treatment 06/2014 - 09/2014. 8 weeks after diagnosis doctor believe he would not survive ATG Treatment. GCSF 3 weeks Aug 2014 Currently on Eltrombopag 09/14 Danazol 25/08/14.