View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 02:51 PM

I would guess that most of the medicines that you take after a BMT (e.g., cyclosporine) aren't good to take with alcohol, but I have to say that alcohol consumption is a very relative/personal thing at the best of times. For example, I graduated from a large state university with a famous football team almost 20 years ago. I have two couple friends that met and married there. Their favorite "date nights" if they can get a baby sitter is go to out to a pub and watch a game and have several beers and feel young again. Other people I know would think that is bizarre and call it binge drinking. I even read an article once where alcohol was listed as one of the top 5 reasons that couples fight, in that it wasn't the absolute quantity that they fought about but what each found acceptable. If both found that having a glass or two of wine every night was fine they got along great; if both thought that abstaining was fine they got along great; but if one thought that three beers during a game was too many and the other too few they were probably going to fight about that their entire union. I don't think telling your husband that people on your message board think drinking alcohol is a bad idea will help, he probably already knows that it is. He should talk to his doctor about it (who I'm sure won't be thrilled about it) but if he's going to drink moderation is obviously key. One thing that I've noticed about friends that get into habits (not addictions but habits) with things like smoking and drinking is that they tend to do it when they're bored. When they quit it was because they actively went out and did something to try to fill their time, for example they'd go out and play tennis or take a walk when they felt like smoking. The problem after a BMT is that there isn't much you can do - for one thing you're not allowed out to do much, and for another you don't feel well enough to do it. My guess is that your husband is bored and trying to fill his time. Maybe a distraction, even something like playing video games, will help.