View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 26, 2015, 11:28 PM

Hi Tracey. I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with this strange disease. Sounds as though you have a good basis for a successful transplant, but no doubt you are aware of all the associated risks as well. I wish you all the very best as you prepare.

I was diagnosed in 2011 after 6-7 years of chronic idiopathic neutropenia and lymphopenia and hence low white cells. A biopsy in 2008 didn't show MDS but one in 2011 after a severe bout of bacterial bronchitis did. See my signature block below for more info.

The good thing about me knowing I had the white cell problem for all those years was that I already knew how to avoid and to fight many threatening infections by the time the MDS diagnosis came along. The other good thing is that also being diagnosed with hypogammaglobulinaemia has necessitated having 4-weekly Intragam infusions, and I think they have made a tremendous difference to my vulnerability to infections too.

Interestingly after a few months break this year from taking vitamin D3 my platelets started dropping (from avg 130,000 down to 117,000) but now that I've started back on the D3 they are back up again today to 132000. Perhaps D3 also influences other cell lines as well as all my other results are also increased today and FYI are as follows:

Hb 11.8
WBC 1.9
Neut 0.9
Lymph 0.5
Mono 0.4

This is the best ANC I've had for ages.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.