View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 04:17 PM

Pop Up Date 11/11/2008

Hello all,

Pop had had a rough 2 weeks. He has had the Thrush and some unknown issues that are causing him headaches and fever. He has lost about 15 pounds, {hard to eat, mom has been pushing scrambled eggs for protein, and they slide down} and he just doesn't have the energy to do anything. His sleeping habits are pretty much hour on, hour off. I have tried to relieve mom, but she won't take time off except to run to the store. I asked him if he wanted hospice, but he still has an opportunity to restart the chemo. Once he starts hospice, all that is over, including blood products. I just see how tired mom is, and she could really use some rest.

Pop also had blood tests today. His Platelets are 154 , dropping as expected, hemoglobin 8.3, gets blood tomorrow, and whites holding at 13. His family doctor took some blood for different tests, liver and electrolytes as well as unnamed others. He wants to put him on a medication to help the Thrush, but is afraid of his liver function. Since he is having an issue with the meds, vomiting, the doctor took him off the pills, and wants to put him on intravenous meds, but only if his liver is O.K. with it. As you know he is off all chemo drugs and only getting blood products as needed. The Dr. did prescribe a mouth numbing wash so he can eat more. We'll see how that works.

Pop is so tired and miserable. He is trying to make holidays again this year, but it is taking a toll on him. All the kids and grand kids will be here, except for one. My niece just got married, and lives way up east, and there is a time and finance issue. I might try on my sisters to see if we can't pool up some finances for them.

He is so excited that we all will be together. He so much wants to be here. Last night, he got kind of weepy. He was saying how much he loved me, and appreciated me. We have always had an open relationship, but over the past year, a lot has been said that people normally don't get around to saying. It is just that last night was, well, different.

O.K. Enough of that. Thanks for reading my rambles, sending ideas and just reading my posts. He really enjoys the fact that people are interested in him, and I appreciate your prayers and caring. Oh, and the steering valve for the tractor will be in this week. The old one needed parts that are not available. Go figure; however, I did have it running.

I will up date when I hear about the other tests.

Thanks again,

Scott

Son of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.