View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:10 PM

Gone Sailing.

Pop left to go sailing at 9:55 p.m. Dec 23, 2008.

I had an urge to see Pop, so I took off work early on Tuesday, and spent about an hour and a half with him and then went to get the kids from day care. My sisters and all my nieces and nephews are in town and got a chance to visit since Sunday.

Mom had my sister Sue get a hold of all of us to come see him at around 7pm. On Tuesday evening my 22 year old son Tony had just arrived at that point for a Christmas visit and to see his grandpa.

We all were in his room talking and visiting. He had not been able to talk since about Monday; however, would moan and communicate by nods and rhythm moans. He told my wife Angie he loved her on Monday night, and shocked us all. He told mom Tuesday afternoon, and made her so happy. I got mine over the weekend. These were great acts, because he was going through a very aggressive and agitated period since Hospice took over.
When we all got together on Tuesday evening, we each took our turns to say our goodbyes. Each of us had a special story about him, or a special time we shared with him and told him in our own way as we held him. My sister Lisa sang him a song, and we had a sort of memorial service with him that he got to be a part of. It was a very special time.

After, my sister Sue and my mother administered his next round of meds. {the meds hospice had him on kept him from becoming agitated and made him sleepy} Mom called us in to say our good byes because she was not sure if after this med cycle if he would be lucid again.

We all went to our respective homes and spots, and at 9:55, my sister called me said it was finished. Pop was fighting to stay, and mom told him it was o.k. to let go and we would be here to take care of things. She laid the prayer blanket on him and she talked him over. My mother said that he was waiting to see Tony, and we all agreed.

My wife had such a hard time though the last months, but when she saw him after he left, she felt as if a thousand pounds were lifted from her. His recent pain and stress was gone, and he was at peace. Angie, my mother and my sister Sue I sat with dad until hospice arrived to pronounce him. It took about an hour since we live in such a rural area, but it gave us time to reflect. To see him there, without feeling less of being not what he was, not aggravated or in any more pain, made me at peace.

My sister Sue had her lab, Bailey, in the room with us, and while the hospice nurse was there, a little after an hour after he passed, the dog got up and went to my father. She tracked something from him to the upper corner of the bedroom near the ceiling. The same spot he was focusing on for the last 3 days. He would have conversations looking in that direction, but nothing we could understand. I figured he was talking with his dad or his uncle. I believe Bailey saw him spirit leave. They do say that dogs can see what we can’t, or are not able to understand. My mother, a very perceptive person, said this morning she did not feel him anymore. He had left. His business was completed.

After the funeral home took pop away, I stayed with mom for a little while longer and talked. My sister sue was staying in the house so when I left, she was not alone.

His last week was so hard for him. He had nothing to eat since a week ago, and that was only Ensures. Since then, only ounces of liquid at times, but really nothing to speak of. He was so darn stubborn. He wanted to make Christmas, you know, his next goal; however, the sub-goal, was seeing all those that were going to be here. So, I guess you could say, he did in fact make his goal.

Belle, my little girl I have been writing about, the apple of Pop’s eye, was a sleep when he left. I told her this morning. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. We had a good cry and talked about things we did with pop. I did not take her up to the good bye ceremony. I felt she would be scared and not understand.

Thank you all for letting me share Pop’s life with you, and I hope that his strength and faith during his journey will give those on the same path the information they seek. If you’re a care giver, call in the troops and share the experience. If you are a patient, let the care givers help you and share the experience. My mother said it was a beautiful thing with all of us there, and I will agree with that.

I would also like to thank hospice for all their caring.

Pop, I will miss you. You have left a bigger hole than you will ever know. The bells have stopped ringing and it is time to roll up the hoses and bring in the trucks. Take a break and go sailing, and may you have fair winds and following seas and may the salt spray always be on your lips.

I love you Dad.

Scott
FOREVER, THE SON OF BOB
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.