View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2022, 10:23 PM

Moving forward with ATG and searching for unrelated BMT match.

Hello all!

We spoke with Seattle Cancer Care Alliance today and it made my mom almost cry (happy tears) after the talk. Dr. Deeg gave my mom unparalleled attention to anything she's received before (no slight to her previous doctors as I know this is unfamiliar terrority for everyone with her kidney disease and AA) and she really feels she's in good hands now. After a sobering two hours, we are moving forward with inpatient ATG in a few weeks as soon as paperwork gets processed. They also want to try another BMB soon to check if there's any progression into MDS territory, as her counts are rapidly declining each week. She will come home and be monitored for 2-3 months to see if there's any improvement, and after that we will head back to Seattle for a BMT, unrelated as all of her 3 siblings either suffer from Polycystic Kidney Disease as well or Melanoma. He told us it would be a 4 month inpatient stay, which floored me and my dad, but explained there are a lot of complications (such as GVHD) to watch out for.

I know success rates are still low, and Dr. Deeg admitted my mom is a complicated case due to her transplanted kidney, but I am glad we are moving in a good treatment direction and anything to keep my mom stable helps.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have scoured the forums but did want to post an update here.

Thank you!