View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 1, 2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mseth View Post
Hi Chirley, hope you are continuing to do well. Your spirit and humour in every situation is remarkable!!

I am still in the 'understanding MDS' mode, and have many questions always for members on the forum, hopefully someday I will be able to contribute with answers for others too.

This is specifically on Copper/Zinc, my mothers test results are:

Serum Copper - 92.10 (normal range 85 - 190)
Serum Zinc - 127.60 (normal range 70 - 120)

The doctor did not seem concerned that zinc was higher than normal. Even though copper is within normal range, will a copper supplement to bring her levels in the mid range help with her MDS? or otherwise?

ANy advice will be appreciated. Many thanks.
I can tell you from my experience that its a circle that leads to the same place each time. You can drill down into DNA methylation, spend hours understanding it and at the end of the day, the answer is the same. Copper deficiency is much different than MDS. Chirly in all likelihood was misdiagnosed and most probably never had MDS. The symptoms are similar, the bmb results might show dysplasia but dysplasia in itself is not MDS.
You can read about copper deficiencies here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_deficiency

If Chirly's doctor had read it he might have got it right the first time and saved her a lot of time and aggravation.

On a side note a few years ago my bloods showed a B12 deficiency, yet my counts were fine. Before that I had a Vitamin D deficiency but my counts were fine, and now I don't have any vitamin deficiencies but I do have MDS.
Hope that helps.