View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 1, 2012, 10:28 PM

Hi,

I've just returned from my haem appt. So much for being tired and headachy....my blood test was very nearly normal. Hb 132!! WCC 4 neuts 2.2 and platelets 157. The only abnormality was my usual low lymphocytes.

I also had a copper level taken but I won't get results until next Tuesday.

I am over the moon that I have not had copper replacement in 8 weeks and my CBC is so good. My doctor is extremely surprised, to say the least, but doctors being what they are is a little more reserved. He said that if the chromosome deletion is new it is an indicator of MDS after all. He even mentioned the dreaded transplant word. Previous BMBs wouldn't have shown this deletion because it was a micro assay and these aren't done on BMBs normally so there is nothing to compare it against. We just have to wait and
see if my parents tests show the same abnormality we won't get those results for at least three months when the Prof is back in the country.

I'm assuming if it is MDS after all, then the 5 cycles of Vidaza that I had were incredibly effective despite my blast count increasing when I was having it.

It also turns out that he didn't notice that I'd stopped having treatment and the daycare centre didn't tell him that I'd cancelled so he was a bit perturbed about that but I told him that my actions were vindicated by the blood results.
He had to agree . He has asked me to see him again the next time I have my port flushed in 2 months but if I have any problems in the meantime or even if I just change my mind about the copper treatment he wants me to ring him. He also told me that he supports patients in their treatment decisions and he will continue to be there for me no matter what I decide to
do.

Next visit is to the neurologist who won't be quite so accommodating. Oh well, can't have it all.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion