View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 09:42 PM

Sbk007 you hit the nail on the head thank you yes there was a period of time after transplant he didn't drink at all. Your exactly right that I was wondering if anyone had and when. thank you

Curlygirl thank you that was a very good point. I think I may have miss represented how much. He drinks a couple beers after work. I know his prograf is already likely to raise liver enzymes. I was really just more curious on what everyones thoughts/ experience was and then I noticed there has been a lot of views on this topic so I figured other people may have been wondering as well. So I thank you for your valid points!

Chirley I applaud your honesty!!! I think all of our honesty helps all of us not be afraid to talk about real life situations we are facing. It's actually a really interesting point you bring up. My husband used to drink beer before his diagnosis of either disease and it seemed like there was a chance he was also self medicating. PNH has a high risk of producing blood clots (that is a cause of fatality in some PNH pts) and his beer drinking in a way may have helped prevent that. Not sure which part of the immune system beer suppresses but I know both of his diseases required immune suppressing drugs before transplant.

Thank y'all all for your thoughts and experiences! I think it makes us stronger as a group to talk about these things.
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim