View Single Post
Old Fri May 6, 2016, 11:51 AM

Been there...

I had ATG in 1987, when it was experimental and given for 16 days. I had a partial response and since then, I've floated between platelet counts of zero to 5K and almost normal, and HGBs of 5 or so to 14. At present, my platelets hover between 16K and 30K; hemoglobin runs 7-10; RBCs are 2 mil. or thereabouts; only counts that are normal are WBCs. At present, I'm not being treated and no treatment is in my foreseeable future due to hemolytic reactions to all blood products from even carefully matched donors (way too many antibodies). I see a hematologist infrequently, but I get CBCs run once a month via a standing order. There's no drama; I have odd bruising and get petechiae, but I just roll with it.

This is part of what is so exasperating about aplastic anemia. I was diagnosed in 1972, when there was no treatment for it except for steroids and most people who had SAA, such as I, perished from it. AA causes panic, but often (usually?), that panic is followed by rising counts and an "all is well for now" state. And every case of AA is so individual and particular to each patient.

I hope that what I've said can give some hope rather than lead to further despair and is not misleading. It's anecdotal, of course - but that's the nature of AA.