View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:08 PM

I'm finally feeling stronger mentally and physically. It's 10 weeks since my stomach surgery and I have started being able to eat without vomiting.

I've lost 18kgs (about 40lb) and I'm starting to feel the difference. My back is still painful but my hip is a lot better. My wish for increased mobility hasn't come true (yet).

I just received a phone call from my GP. My last blood test results show my Hb is 104....he is happy with this and so am I although I didn't have the heart to tell him it was almost certainly effected by haemoconcentration due to dehydration with my constant vomiting. My WCC and neuts are still low but stable and my lymphs are high. Platelets weren't mentioned so they must be okay.

I'm starting to wonder if this surgery has somehow altered my vitamin/ mineral absorption. Even though my vitamin levels have declined, it seems that my copper isn't being excreted as fast or maybe I'm not absorbing zinc and I have been able to absorb and metabolise copper better. I really don't know, but since surgery my bone marrow has been functioning better. While I was on tube feeds, they were bypassing my duodenum and going straight into my jejunem. These feeds had copper in them. Maybe I absorb copper better this way. If it turns out that having copper supplements into the jejunum is effective....I'd be happy to have a PEG placed and administer the copper at home.

It's really just conjecture, but I know my bone marrow is functioning better and I'll be grateful if it continues.