View Single Post
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 03:19 PM

Need urgent advice

I was discharged from hospital yesterday. I had 5 doses over 5 days of Copper Sulphate 4mgs in 200mls of Normal Saline, each run over 4 to 5 hours. I had 100mgs of Hydrocortisone before and after each dose but still developed welts. I also had Claratyne anti histamine tablets. I became very hypotensive at 78/40 to 90/50 and my pulse dropped into the 40s occasionally. My physician thought these hypotensive episodes were neurological. I was given a couple of litres of intravenous Saline to try to increase my blood pressure and it did rise to 95/55 by the time i was discharged.

While I was in hospital I noticed I wasn't passing urine very often (I didn't pass urine from midday one day until 7am the following morning and it wasn't a lot. I didn't mention this to my doctor. Since I've come home, I've hardly passed any urine, my feet are swollen and I have some slight pitting oedema on my shins. My eyes are swollen and I have developed fluid around my neck (like a double chin), my cheeks are swollen and heavy and it's making my mouth droop at the corners. I don't have a cough or breathlessness but my chest does feel a bit tight (no wheeze). I have gained 5.5kgs in 6 days.

I don't know whether to assume this is just fluid retention from the steroids (hasn't been this bad before) or whether my low blood pressure has caused a kidney problem. I feel quite tired and shaky but I don't have any nausea. I just don't feel right, but I don't want to go rushing off to see my GP if this is only going to be a temporary steroid side effect.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping this is something I can ignore.

BTW, Birgitta...that's an interesting article. It comes at a time when I might need a bit more help because I was the guinea pig for the Medical Registrar examinations when I was in hospital and my Neuro symptoms/signs have worsened since my last Neuro examination.