View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 6, 2014, 09:44 AM

New MDS diagnosis

My husband, Dennis, 53, was told Monday that BMB showed refractory anemia with excess blasts. This was about 10 days after he was admitted to hospital with very low RBC, WBC and platelet counts. RBC was 6.2. After blood transfusion, he felt much better and shoulder pain he'd had for more than a year was gone. He was always healthy until now. In past few months, he has been unable to catch breath with exertion, his face was white, legs felt hollow, etc. Doc shared results of BMB without explaining it was a scary diagnosis. My husband left office thinking he was probably fine. Doc said to come back in two weeks for results of chromosomal testing and flowtometry (not sure of spelling). From what I've read online, those results are needed to determine severity of MDS and stage 1 or 2. He'd just started a new job and doesn't have health insurance for another three months. Not sure what I'm asking. Just knew nothing of MDS until now. I've been crying a lot. He continues to work (he only missed one day of work for hospital stay). Guess there's no way to know what lies ahead for us?
Thank you.