View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2021, 03:43 PM

Every one thinks that needing blood and platelets is why aplastic anemia is so dangerous. But from the research I've done, the biggest danger is getting infections from low neutrophils (my mother's hematologist pretty much told her this in so many words). That's why she was happy that her neutrophils shot up over 500 quite early, and then very happy when they averaged around 1000.

While people can get antibodies to blood, which causes real problems, it is usually the case that people can get hundreds and hundreds blood transfusions for years now because of the safety of blood without too many serious issues. Sure, you're going to get severe iron overload, but that is not the what makes AA most dangerous, either, unless you have already have a serious heart or liver problem. High iron has to fester in the body for quite some time to really wreak havoc (unless you already have a heart or liver condition). It takes years to really develop a heart condition from high iron, even if the iron overload is severe. Liver problems can happen earlier but still takes a while before iron deposits accumulate. That said, it is still a serious issue that has to be addressed. My mother has her liver enzymes checked every few weeks. The hematologist said that enzymes will get high if iron starts to build up in the liver.

Thirdly, you can live with super low platelets indefinitely, as long as you don't have internal blooding from whatever reason (fall, medicine, etc.). There is a man online whose platelets have been under 10 for years from autoimmune ITP disease. He's fine (just don't fall or get hit).

I also want to mention that having a cardiac issue with AA is dangerous because weak hearts need higher hemoglobin.

So, you see that people with VSAA (very severe) are at greatest risk for real danger because their neutrophils average under 200. That said, I am not making light of the seriousness of needing RBC and platelet transfusions.

By the way, my mother has had about 55 RBC transfusions and about 85 or so platelets transfusions. I am worried about platelet refractory, by my mother's hematologist insists on platelets once there under 20. I don't agree with this. My mother's platelets always seem to hold at 10. Another thing: she got edema from too much fluid from platelets. She was put on water pills that really hurt her kidney function. Her creatinine is 1.7 (it used to be 0.7). She has stopped all water pills, but the doctor says it takes time for the creatinine levels to go back to normal once you're on diuretics for a few months. They aren't concerned about her kidneys because it was medication-induced (I am, though!).

@Marlene: I agree with your last post very much. You can tell you and your husband lived this disease. Your advice and information is priceless.

Last edited by Matthew42 : Wed Nov 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM.