View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 2, 2022, 10:51 AM

Marlene,

Thank you so much. I'm really glad you commented and are still reading the thread. Dealing with these things can be very isolating...

I wish I knew exactly what was causing the problems for my mother that were hindering her recovery. Was it really the copper deficiency and malnutrition? If so, why was she so copper deficient? Was one of the medications causing this effect?

Most importantly, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? If it all was really related to profound malnutrition, like the hospital notes said, then there is a deep need to be vigilant about eating enough. I do agree that her hematologist became a hindrance in her recovery by ignoring a lot of her reported problems until they became too overwhelming.

In better news, as of her last appointment at the hematology clinic, her Hgb was 11, ANC 4.2, platelets 191! There is finally talk of slowly tapering down her cyclosporine and removing the PICC line she's had since July 2021. She is doing very well and is able to completely care for herself again.

It upsets me so much to think that she was allowed to spiral down so far into becoming so weak and dependent without any curiosity or desire to figure out what the problem was.