View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 04:44 AM

Oh what a good idea...a health retreat! I hadn't thought of that, I'll start checking some out, I think there's one in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

I've had dramas here since yesterday. My new tube fell out in the shower last night. Minor panic set in. I rang the surgical ward who then contacted my surgeon who told me to present to my nearest hospital ED ASAP. So I roll up and the first Dr attempts to re insert the tube without success and with quite some pain may I add. So second more senior Dr rolls up and also fails at re inserting the tube. So they contact the gastroenterologist on call who says for me to re present at 8am this morning to the Endo Dept and he would sedate me and replace the tube using endoscopic guidance. I tell them that my tube was not inserted endoscopic ally it was inserted via open surgery but no one listens. Anyway I turn up this morning only to be told that they didn't have a Dr capable of doing it until this afternoon, so I wait at the hospital all day.

Then this afternoon three more Drs decide to try to reinsert the tube by just pushing it through the old hole and voila.....it worked. Then I get sent to radiology for contrast studies and finally get ready to come home when I get told that my surgeon wasn't happy that I had the tube replaced in the same hole so I basically ditched my surgeon then and there....he can get lost. If he can't be bothered being available when I needed him he can find himself another patient. Then to top off a great 24 hours I get told it looks like I've got Pseudomonas infection again. So the site gets swabbed and I have to return for results. If it is pseudomonas I have to decide to treat or not but I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

On a positive note...I've never had such excellent, friendly care with staff that went out of their way to help me. I was very impressed. They even had to cope with a man having a cardiac arrest right in front of me and they were jumping on his chest etc but still managed to keep every other patient cared for and calm. (The man survived)