View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure I can offer any concrete suggestions. It takes time to establish a good relationship with a doctor. Depending on the doctor or their hospital's policies, many don't utilize email with their patients. John has two hematologist. One is local who managed his aftercare once we returned home from Johns Hopkins. He does not use email and appointments are needed for most consults. This is a private practice and pretty much runs on a traditional medical model.

His doctor at Johns Hopkin is always open to email communications. Both before and after John's treatment there. But they are a teaching/research hospital and utilize a different model.

I think you have to start with face to face appointments unless you find a doctor who will do phone consults. Depending on what you want confirmed, you may not need a hematologist from a Center of Excellence. So first think through what you really want from the doctor. Is it to help you stay healthy while fasting and to keep an eye on your CBC? Or is it to help you monitor more complex aspects of the MDS? Do you have a local hematologist/doctor that you are seeing regularly? And will they work with you on this.

Define your expectations or goals first so you can then figure out what level of support you need. You may have to consider working with an Integrative or Complementary or Holistic doctor. Or try to find a a doctor who does Therapeutic Fasting in their practice. These doctors are more likely to work with you via phone consults/email. But they still may require a face to face visit at first.

It is not easy finding someone who can or is willing to work with you on your terms. Most want to force fit you into their model. The key is finding someone willing to be flexible and open minded.

Sometimes your local family doctor can work with you and have consults with the doc from the Center of Excellence. Many times doctors are more open to speaking with other doctors in these cases.

Sorry I don't have anything better to suggest. If I think of anything, I'll be sure to post.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.