View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 03:33 PM

I was reading my most recent issue and got to the article "Cells on Fire". An excerpt is available here, although not the portion that is pertinent to this discussion.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ation-factory/
Inside the Inflammation Factory

A newly discovered structure in cells underlies inflammation wherever it occurs—an insight that may lead to new treatments for ailments as diverse as atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's and fatty liver disease.

To read the entire article you'd need to buy the issue or visit your library, but here is the part that I'd found interesting in reference to this thread:

"FOOD SHOCK
The true stunner of the field, in my opinion, however, was the discovery that eating can trigger an inflammatory response. More specifically, eating too much in one sitting will trigger an acute episode of inflammation that eventually resolves itself, and routinely eating so many calories that the body has to store them as fat triggers chronic inflammation. Biologists had little reason to suspect such a relation. After all, nutrients are not bacteria-specific molecules or particles, not are they sequestered inside cells (which would make them obvious candidates for danger signals). And yet several studies conducted in the past few years in animals have determined that certain nutrients, such as saturated fatty acids (found in meat and cheese and also manufactured by our body), can in high amounts act as danger signals and directly activate the NLRP3 inflammasome in macrophages and other cells."
"Given that overnutrition can cause inflammation, my colleagues and I at Yale University decided to pursue the reverse question: whether undernutrition results in metabolites that can reduce inflammasome activation. The anti-inflammatory effects of fasting and exercise are well known, so we examined two molecules that are increased during the body during these states: beta-hydroxybutyrate and lactic acid. We found that the molecules interact with particular, distinct receptors on macrophages; together these interactions initiate a series of biochemical reactions in the cells that ultimately turn off the genes involved in triggering inflammasome production. Our next challenge is to figure how to harness these moderating pathways to deactivate inflammation in various diseases."

There's a lot of good stuff in the article beyond these two paragraphs, but there's no doubt that the author thinks that fasting reduces inflammation. So if it is inflammation causing your low blood numbers it could help. P.S. Sorry for any typos, I was typing from my paper version.