View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 12:15 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
Currently he is under the impression that we really won't get to be with him much after he starts chemo, as they are trying to minimize outside germs from being near him. He thinks he will be located in an isolated room with very limited visitor possiblities.
I suggest that you find out about this from the hospital ahead of time. When my wife was in isolation, other visitors and I had to scrub our arms and hands, wear a paper gown over our clothes, and put on a paper mask, so that's what we did. Refer to yourselves as caregivers, not visitors, and be prepared to follow all procedures they use to keep your friend safe from infections.

For patients, a transplant typically involves good days and bad days, not always in a smooth pattern. Caregivers offer comfort just by being there and can help patients through the bumps in the road. One way is to help your friend communicate with others of his friends and family. Help him share his news on social networks, by email, texting, phone, etc., and pass along messages from well-wishers. People shouldn't send flowers, plants, or food, but if they send notes or pictures you can put them up on the walls.

Whoever is there with your friend should be prepared for stretches of boredom. Bring a book or a tablet or laptop computer for when your friend is napping during "your shift".

If you help your friend track his blood counts, which will be measured one or more times per day, be prepared for them to drop way down. A white count of 0 means that the cytoxan has worked to kill the cells of the faulty immune system, even though it has left him very susceptible to infection. You then wait for the transplanted immune system to kick in, as shown by the white count increasing. It's scary to wait for that to start, but when it happens it's a reason to celebrate. Don't be shy about asking for the results of each blood test (called a "CBC") if they don't think to give them to you.

These suggestions are based on my experience. Your experience will no doubt differ, but I hope this helps. After the transplant you'll probably have suggestions of your own to pass along.