View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 12:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
Well, tomorrow (or technically today) is the education day for Justin's BMT. My parents and his aunt will be attending a series of meetings with the various Doctors.

I am still nervous. Justin seems not too worried about anything. He did express concern over the possibility that he might not get to have children due to becoming steril. He also said he may loose his hair, but I was quick to tell him that he shouldn't worry as it will grow back.

Question: When will Justin mostly likely feel the worse? Will it be during his chemo and radiation (they will be giving him a small amount of radiation), or will be after the transplant during the recovery phase?

Thanks for any help, tips, or ideas anyone here may have.
Pre-transplant education days are very useful. I'm glad the family will attend.

See the Can i have a baby??? thread for advice about using a sperm bank before treatment begins. Sterility is likely, though not the case 100% of the time.

Some patients feel awful during chemo and radiation while others sail right through it with no ill effects. Patients are likely to feel bad when their white count is zero or very low, which is an expected stage in the days following the chemo and radiation. Without white cells, mouth sores are likely. The trick when that happens is to have adequate pain medication. Nobody gets points (or a better recovery) for suffering. Patients should speak up about any discomfort they have so the medical staff can help them, while you wait for the new bone marrow to do its magic.